Monday, June 30, 2008

Politics

I just sent this to the local paper - felt a little political today - I'd appreciate some feedback - thanks -

Well into the political season I’m enjoying myself as all of you political junkies must be. The older I get it becomes more and more clear to me how the news media tries to form our opinions for us. I used to think Chris Matthews was one heck of a nice liberal guy - than I saw how he bashed Hillary. I was stunned. One night just for fun I tuned into Bill O'Reilly and actually found him to be more fair to Hillary than all of those MSNBC guys. Incredible! Then I heard that Anne Coulter was more in favor of Hillary than John McCain! I guess he wasn’t conservative enough. Great Scott! I didn’t know what to believe. The media has portrayed Cindy McCain as a frosty rich woman. Yesterday I read this great report about her in Newsweek - I was impressed. She is a warm, kindhearted person. She walks the walk. Now I’m beginning to see the far right hit Obama on his patriotism - the old flag in the lapel thing and his outspoken wife - how he’s a flip-flopper - and even John McCain says his word is not to be trusted. I think that means you can’t ever change your mind. I’ve changed my mind lot in my life - it’s called growing up and maturing. I’m not talking about shifting your opinions to be that of the last person you talked to or what’s politically convenient. I’m talking about seeing something better than you used to. Interestingly enough, Thomas Jefferson originally thought the proposed Lewis and Clark Expedition was a bad idea - good thing he changed his mind. Abraham Lincoln promised the southern states that he would not abolish slavery - good thing he changed his mind. I assume the readers get my point - take your time making up your mind - that’s you making up your mind - not the media making it up for you. I find my Republican friend, Dart Everett, making a lot of sense these days - Good Grief!

2 comments:

Susan said...

Been taking a vacation from TV and radio news for the past few weeks. I don't feel the news media is a credible source for unbiased information. There appears to be so much coercion among the media outlets that the same soundbites air on whichever channel/station you happen to tune into. I don't feel in danger of them forming my opinions for me. I am concerned that the candidates feel so threatened by the collective force of the news media that they are incapable of authentic discourse. Who knows what they really think?

Jbedaoak said...

Wolf - I see that Obama has shifted over to the "middle" now that the primary season is over - he has the left wrapped up - at least he thinks so - McCain has a harder job - he needs to work on the middle, too - but he has yet to win over the right! Obama lately has shown that he's more of a politician than most people had thought earlier -